Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 11 Climbing that mountain

Today is a bit of a slog.  I have a feeling that in the back of my head someone is singing some sort of spiritual to get myself through heavy labour.  I'm seeing some positives (skin is clearer and brighter, jaw definition is there again, feeling generally less puffy, have lost underarm cleavage - possibly TMI) but I've definitely hit the hard going part of the first month.  One of the changes I'm making this year is that I'll shift when I go to the gym.  Not stop going but when becomes important.  Can't do a morning? No problem.  Hit the gym at lunch or in the afternoon.  Feeling good, hit the gym in the morning. It's less about setting myself a rigid routine and more about making sure that the effort is sustainable.

Same thing with my food. Breakfast is sorted.  I'm comfortable, making good choices at home and at the gym and knowing what are some good options are if I head out.  I'm planning more effectively for eating during the week at the office.  Planning really is key.  If I've given myself options, I also haven't given myself an out for making a choice that is less than healthy.  I don't want to make anything a forbidden food as creating a good food vs evil food is neither sustainable or a healthy way to approach it.  Moderation in everything including moderation.  If I'm in a situation where the best choice still isn't fabulous, so be it.  I simply need to adjust the rest of my day or how much energy I'm expending.

Cycle at lunch is hard.  My legs feel heavy and its an effort to keep turning them over.  I manage some of the climbs but my knee is giving me a couple of warning twinges so I powerclimb (which is seated) rather than stand up in the saddle.  Leanne is no less frightening than last week. I notice that I can cope with adding more resistance when she suggests it far more than I was able to last week, despite my tiredness.  I'm noticing that my thighs are already starting to feel much firmer after only a week.  I'd like to get to a point that I feel comfortable climbing whenever the track calls for it. Hmm, good goal over 3 months.

Catch up with a friend for lunch.  Sushi. Mmmmmm. I love sushi.  Hits both the protein and the carb buttons square in the middle. I also like the fact that it is really easy to judge how much you've consumed of it.  Back to the office, having restocked the snack draw of awesome. Remembered to buy more of the yummy rice crackers so I don't run out half way through the fortnight this time.  Grab a fruit snack tub and some nuts about 3/4 of an hour before I'm due at the gym.

I've got PT tonight but I want to get 10k in the bike in first so I head to the gym and set myself up. It's amazing how cruddy cable tv can distract my legs from their tiredness. Fiona (who also has PT with Lu tonight) and I plot to try and tire Lu out before my session.  "No, no I don't understand how that works, could you show me again?", "I'm so much more motivated when you run on the treadmill beside me".  Both of us know its a vain hope but we laugh a lot while planning it in the change room.  It's a huge session with Lu tonight.  Highlights of it are the 60 squats holding a weight plate and the 60 crunches on the fitball holding a weight plate. I'm just smashed by the end of it.

I get home and discover that for all my planning I seem to have completely forgotten about dinner.  I refuse to give into temptation and order $40 of Thai food (min delivery order) and instead try the new biggest loser range from Dominos. I can advise that the bbq chicken, mushroom & pineapple pizza is really tasty although the garden salad was really wilted and ick.  Thankfully I had some left over veges from dinner the night before.  Another day done.

No comments:

Post a Comment