Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 4 - The nice lady scares me

Thursday, sleep in day. Beloved, beloved sleep in day.  It's amazing how much getting up at 6.30 didn't hurt in comparison to 5am. Not having the ready options of the gym to provide me breakfast meant I had to think a bit more about my choices for breakfast. Oats! Oats are good choice. For the first time in years I used my scales to measure something other than an ingredient for baking.  Portion control is something I know I need to pay attention to. I add a chopped up peacherine (peach crossed with a nectarine) and a teaspoon of stevia. My family have always made their porridge with water and then added a little bit of milk to eat it so out came the low fat milk.  Felt really full. Check of the gym bag and blackberry and then out the door with my girlfriend who was borrowing my parking space on a meander to work.  Don't feel tempted to grab a coffee but don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything either.  I can have it when I want it, I just don't need to grab one on auto pilot.

Hit the office and I'm pretty much immersing myself in what appears to be a task list the size of the kokoda trail. Start to stress out mid morning about getting it all done so I stop and take a step back. Today I need the headspace of a good workout at lunch so I have a snack from the amazing draw of good choices and put my head down. Head to the gym for what I think is an RPM class but turns out to be cycle run by Leanne. Leanne is my slim coach, my kind, understanding, gentle slim coach.  That turns out to be slim. Cycle is another matter. The woman is a complete machine who could climb for what felt like 35 of the 45 mins of the class.  Plus she just kept adding resistance. It was insane.  The nice lady scared me.

Doing cycle at lunch after RPM yesterday morning was a real challenge. Definitely felt it in what the balance instructor politely referred to as my "sit bones".  Tomorrow is going be a world of pain. Leanne does say that 3 spin classes a week and you won't feel it.  I'm not entirely sure I believe her.  Staggered out of the class and into body balance.  This wasn't so much bravado as a cunning plan. I really needed to stretch properly and balance was the way to do it being a mix of yoga, tai chi, pilates and balance tracks. Plus you get a relaxation/meditation track at the end and I wanted that a lot.  Finished up the class, got changed and headed back to the office, knowing I could cope with the day.  A chat with my wonderful boss re taskmageddon further affirmed that.  

Found out that there is a weekly challenge this year as part of foxy - this week it's endurance which means pushups.  How many push ups can you do maintaining perfect form in 60 seconds? Currently it is 23 incline pushups (doing pushups using a bar rather than being flat on the floor).  Not bad. Sarah (the member motivator) kept count for me, watching my form and keeping me motivated. A minute is a long time.  My body weight is a lot of weight to push up using only my upper body.   Thankfully I'd done a couple of ten minute stints on the bike to keep me warm before I did it.

Got home and threw together a beef and vege stirfry. Chilli from my garden plus eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, coriander, ginger, garlic, soy. Nyom plus I get lunch tomorrow.  I love it when a plan comes together.  Felt really happy about the proportions of my dinner, 20% meat, 80% veges.  Also happy with my portion size.  I'm feeling very in control of my diet despite the stress and this is a big thing.  Emotion is a factor when I'm eating, boredom is a huge issue, negative emotions in general. I need to be aware of it and not to let it become an excuse for me to just give in and make unhealthy choices. I have other choices, other methods of dealing with these emotions, it's time to use them.

Actually, thinking about planning, my left overs will make a great dinner for Friday night rather than a lunch. I'm ushering at the Street Theatre so won't head home before the show.  Will pack up the left overs and take them to work. Planning, I remember you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment