Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 3 - Mind over matter

Mind over matter.  That was definitely the theme as I rolled reluctantly out of bed at 5 in the morning. The impetus to stay in bed and sleep was strong but I'd made the deal with my amazing gym buddy C to meet her for cycle at 5.50 and I wasn't going to let her down.  It was funny, I got in the car and both of us immediately confessed that we were considering not doing RPM as planned but doing "some light cardio" instead.  This lasted until we actually hit the gym and heard the ever enthusiastic tones of Lisa, the worlds most kick ass spin instructor.  We were doing RPM. Class was packed this morning, similar numbers to an evening class which was great to see. What was also fabulous to see what the amazing effort being put in by women of all shapes, sizes, ages who were just smacking it.  This was my first spin class in months.  God it hurt.  I stayed in the saddle through the first climb track, not trusting myself that I could manage it.  When the Prodigy kicked in the track 5 and Lisa hollered it was the hardest track 5 she'd taught in her 7 years of teaching, I thought "Stuff it!" and just went for it.  The climb hurt.  Oh boy did it hurt but I did it.   Managed to survive the rest of the class, pacing myself on the climbs.  Wandered out of class and that's when a slight fit of insanity kicked in.  Hit the TTT (tummies, tails, thighs) workshop.  Am fairly sure I survived it primarily through bravado.  Michelle who was running it pushed me when I needed to. Apparently I have a much stronger core than I give myself credit for. Who knew?  I explained my theory about some yoga moves being somewhat incompatible with a curvy framed woman having been developed by a skinny old man on a mountain.  In the way the best trainers do, she laughed and ignored me.  

Quick breakfast and chat with some of the other regulars and off to work. Head down, tail up, I've got work coming out of my ears at present so there really is no other mode of survival.  Nearly worked through my morning snack but stopped myself and grabbed a fruit snack pack and some almonds.   Looked at my schedule for the rest of the day, thought how I was feeling and decided to hit the swiss ball workshop at lunch to keep myself moving.  My tendency to make slight groaning noises when getting up to refill my water bottle was freaking my team out. 

Swiss ball was definitely a bit of an ask after the 2 classes this morning.  Jen kept the workshop moving nicely, particularly given the mix of ladies.  More squats.  My quads are threatening to move to China.  Hamstring curls, balance exercises, pushups, what I'm calling a reverse superman (lie on back, feet and arms in the air with ball supported by hands and toes, lift opposite hand and leg off the ball but keep it steady), crunches, twists, side taps... May have missed something but I'm sure I'll work it out from the twinges. Good stretch. Really good stretch.    I may have been biased but I think I've earnt that right. 

Back to the office, enjoy my lunch and get back into it. Change of plans - I'm going for burritos.  Okay, time to hit the website and check out my options. Right, I've gone the nutritional info and know what a good choice will be for me. Have a look at how I'm going balance wise on my food types and double check. Check. Feeling confident about dinner now.  

It's strange but I'm finding I'm full.  I feel that I'm eating more than I normally do but am not bingeing because of that.  I know I've got meals & snacks there so I'm not stressed that I have to come up with something on the fly and end up taking the easy choice which may not be a good one. I'm drowning myself in water and herbal tea (might be making sloshy noises in time with my groans when I move.) Nutrition was my weak point last year with GRR.  I was so scared of the exercise that I focused almost entirely on that and gave myself permission to be lazy with my food.  Not this year.  This year I know I can do this.  There's a rock solid certainty in my gut that this is conquerable.   I also know what were the things I struggled with last year and have come up with some strategies to manage those things.  This blog is one of them. I'm not comfortable in paper or hard copy and found that really hard.  By shifting my planning & journaling to the format I'm comfortable with, I'm actually doing it. Not playing catch up or putting it off because I'm uncomfortable.  I'm in control.

1 comment: